Implant-Retained Dentures – Longview, TX
A Stable and Strong Tooth Replacement Solution
If you’re missing all or most of your teeth, you may already be aware of the struggles that you face day to day. Whether it’s eating, talking, or just smiling, missing teeth can cause numerous problems for you and your self-confidence. Thankfully, there is a replacement option that is better than ever at restoring the complete beauty and function to your smile. Dr. George R. Stoddard offers implant-retained dentures to completely rebuild your smile and maintain your biting power. Keep reading to learn more about how we combine dental implants in Longview with dentures for a natural-looking and feeling set of teeth.
How Do Implant-Retained Dentures Work?
Traditional dentures use suction or adhesive to stick to your gums. Although they provide a beautiful and natural appearance, they’re not as functional, stable, or comfortable as your natural teeth. However, implant-retained dentures are anchored in your jawbone with dental implants, which provides a sturdy, stable, and strong replacement for your smile. Your dental implants are titanium posts that act as tooth roots, but they also hold your denture comfortably in place.
There are two types of implant-retained dentures: a fixed implant denture and an overdenture. With a fixed-implant denture, Dr. Stoddard permanently attaches your denture to your implants. On the other hand, an overdenture is removeable and snaps in place with your implants using small connectors. Sometimes, we can use your existing denture to create an overdenture by adding dental implants.
Am I a Candidate for Implant-Retained Dentures?
You may be an ideal candidate for implant-retained dentures if you:
- Have lost most or all of your teeth
- Are committed to routine oral healthcare
- Have a strong enough jawbone to accommodate dental implants
- Are in fairly good overall health
- Don’t use tobacco products or smoke
Even if it may not sound like you’re a perfect candidate for implant-retained dentures, you should still contact our office for an evaluation. Dr. Stoddard does everything he can to give his patients the results that they desire.
The Implant-Retained Dentures Procedure
Once you’ve completed any potential preliminary treatments like a bone graft to accommodate dental implants, you’re ready to start the placement process. During dental implant surgery, Dr. Stoddard, an expert dentist in Longview, will place dental implants in strategic locations through out your jawbone to create supports for your dentures.
After your bone has healed and your implants have fused to your jaw (a process that can take multiple months to complete), we will create your denture to fit onto your dental implants. Then, we’ll attach your custom-made prosthetic to your dental implants for a strong, stable and natural looking smile.
Benefits of Combining Dentures & Dental Implants
There are many unique benefits that come with implant-retained dentures, but here are some of their most popular advantages:
- The support that dental implants provide for your dentures allows for you to eat almost any food. This also helps you maintain a healthy diet.
- Dentures in Longview are made out of comfortable, flexible, and realistic-looking materials for a beautiful new smile.
- When you lose teeth, your jawbone can deteriorate over time. Dental implants preserve your jawbone by providing it with the stimulation it needs to stay strong.
- Implant-retained dentures are incredibly easy to care for, with a routine that is similar to cleaning your natural teeth.